“Bethany Bits” is complete. Or, should it be called “Bits of Bethany”? Or maybe something else? I haven’t really decided. What do you think? Maybe I’ll show it to DD#2 and ask her, too 🙂
Since this was really a spur-of-the-moment mini quilt (only 24″ square), I ended up using bits and pieces of things on hand. Of course, I started by using the fabric scraps left over from my 2006 journal quilts.
I also decided to use up some fusible batting that I had on hand. I had previously used this on a small journal quilt, but I had a piece left over that was big enough for this piece. While it worked perfectly on this small quilt, I wonder how it would work on something larger. It made the quilt fairly stiff, especially compared to the 100% wool batting I normally use. I wonder how difficult it would be to roll up a large quilt with fusible batting and try to stuff it under the arm of my Janome. But, on the other hand, it was very quick and easy to sandwich this little quilt and it was really nice to not have to fiddle with pins.
Yesterday I did some simple straight line quilting with a walking foot. In very little time I was done and ready to trim and bind it.
I also experimented with the binding by using some Lapel Stick to hold it in place instead of pins. Boy, I’m going to have to figure out other ways to use this! I applied it liberally, and it really did hold the binding down securely. I was able to stitch-in-the-ditch from the front and catch in the binding all the way around, and it was straight and even and it looked nice!
I’m of to take a workshop. More on that tomorrow.