Saturday was a wonderful day because I had a good number of hours to work uninterrupted. Choosing the colors and stitching the strips are not tasks that are too difficult. My problem comes with the next stage: figuring out what to do with those strips. I pushed them around on my design wall for quite a while until I had the nerve to take one and cut it in half. I sewed those to halves together and cut it in half again. After doing that a few times, I ended up with a nice strip of stripes. (Say that five times really fast.) I repeated that approach with a couple of other pieces until I had a nice variety. Then I pushed everything around on my design wall some more.
I first started with everything horizontal and vertical. Then I wondered what it would look like with all diagonals, but I decided that was more trouble than it was worth.
I went back to the horizontal and vertical arrangement and made up my mind to sew more pieces together. I woke up early Sunday morning to finish it. Here is the completed piece.
It’s pretty small, maybe 36″ x 40″. I really need to learn to work larger, but then I wouldn’t be able to finish them as fast either.
Now I just need to think of a name.
Update: I’ve named this piece “Reaching.”