Yes! For weeks, I desperately needed to clean my studio, and now I can really see the floor! It was so horrifying, I couldn’t bring myself to take “before” pictures. Seriously. I haven’t been in there to work since September. Do you remember October and November? All the traveling? All the teaching? All the shopping?
For two months I’ve been stacking stuff in there: on the floor, on the worktable, on the chair, hanging from the doors, leaning against every surface. My suitcase full of goodies from Houston still sat smack dab in the middle of my main work area. When I needed something, I would take my life into my own hands, tiptoe in, dig out the item, and carelessly toss it back in the heap when I was done. Imagine every flat surface looking a bit like the picture above. It was a fearful sight to behold.
And then, along came Cat Patches with a wonderful idea: Occupy your Sewing Room! She encouraged people to set the goal of spending an entire day in their sewing room during the week of December 3 through 10. I knew I couldn’t put it off any longer.
A couple of days ago, I squeezed into the room and began by clearing away the boxes of new fabric. It’s really not my fault. I had to buy a lot because I signed up for a Nancy Crow workshop and you have to bring lots of choices with you. Plus, Fabric.com had a Black Friday sale. Let’s just say this was the most fabric I’ve ever purchased at one time. But then, it was a good deal because after the discount, the Kona Cotton was only $3.83 per yard! And while I was shopping for Kona Cotton, I saw other places with other great sales of fabric I really, really wanted. Let’s just say I’ll be prewashing fabric for a while.
And then there were the boxes of stuff leftover from lectures and workshops and play days and projects and all the other times I pulled out lots of stuff but didn’t put it away. (I’m noticing a trend here: I’m bad at putting things away!)
Once there was floor space so I could move, I got some empty boxes and filled them with “Stuff That Needs to be Put Away.” I piled them high until my worktable, the floor, and every other surface that should be empty was completely cleaned off. Then I started at the left corner of my worktable and worked my way to the right. Little by little, I cleaned out each cubbyhole, each drawer, each area as I went. I ruthlessly and cheerfully tossed out stuff I know I will never use. Anytime I came across something that belonged elsewhere, I put it in my boxes of “Stuff That Needs to be Put Away.”
Once the work area was tidy, I started emptying the boxes. One by one, each item was assigned a new home. I reorganized a few areas in ways that I hope will be a bit more efficient.
I even cleaned out each one of those little drawers and cubbyholes. I just need to label them.
It took me several days to get through it all, but this is what my studio looked like at 11:30 last night. Now I can finally vacuum the floor.